How do I register with immigration for the first time?

Sheila Mahon
Sheila Mahon
  • Updated

Upon arrival

When you arrive in Ireland an immigration officer will place a landing stamp in your passport at border control. This gives you permission to stay in Ireland up to the date indicated (typically 90 days). You must register with immigration in person before this landing stamp expires.

Before registering with Immigration Service Delivery (ISD) formally know as GNIB, students must have secured their long term accommodation. This is important as ISD post the Irish Residency Permit (IRP Card - formally known as GNIB card) to this address and short-term temporary accommodation such as hostel or AirBnb can not be used when registering with Immigration.


How to make an appointment

Important note - You must have started your course before you register your permission in Ireland.

For students starting in September 2024 your appointment date must be after 16th September

  • Students that live in County Dublin, Kildare, Meath, Wicklow, Cork or Limerick must register with Immigration Service Delivery (ISD) in Burgh Quay. Registration is strictly by appointment and to secure an appointment please call Freephone 1800 800 630. 
  • Operators are available between Monday-Friday and 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.   (You should also call this number if you need to reschedule or cancel your appointment.)
  • Please make sure you have your passport details and a valid email address to share with the customer service representative when you call.
  • The most up to date information on this service and operator availability is on the immigration website here. 
  • Students that live outside County Dublin, Kildare, Meath, Wicklow, Cork or Limerick must register with their local immigration office at the local Garda (Police) Station . You can find your local immigration office and how to make an appointment with them here.


Checklist for Appointment 

Attend your appointment with the following documents:

First Time Registrations Documents Needed
  1. The biometric page of your current valid passport(s). This is the page that shows your photograph, passport number and date of birth.
  2. Proof of your enrolment on a full time higher education course listed on the ILEP.
  3. Proof that you have paid college/university fees.
  4. Proof of your scholarship funding (if applicable).
  5. Proof that you have started your course.
  6. Private Medical Insurance or Travel Insurance with medical cover for accidents and medical incident including hospital stays in Ireland, valid for 12 months, or if less than 12 months for the duration of your stay.
  1. Passport
  2. NCI Immigration Letter
  3. NCI fees receipt
  4. NCI fees receipt shows your scholarship 
  5. NCI Immigration Letter
  6. Your medical insurance

Up to date list of required documents can be found on the immigration website here.

  • NCI Immigration letter – this letter is emailed to your student email address within 3 working days of your welcome meeting. *If you have attended your welcome meeting and have not received this letter please contact 
  • Medical Insurance (If you have bought your medical insurance from your home country, you should ensure it covers all your needs and includes hospital cover. Next year when you renew your visa you must have insurance from an Irish provider.)
  • Credit/Debit Card to pay fee of €300

Important note: The Registration letter that is available on the student letter hub must not be presented to immigration as the course dates are incorrect and if provided you may be issued an Irish Resident Permit (IRP) card with an earlier expiry date. 

If you want to provide a letter with your address you can use the Bank or PPSN letter.


Proof of Financial Support 

If you need a visa to come to Ireland, you do not need proof of finance after you arrive here. Your ability to support yourself on arrival in the State is checked during the visa application process.

However if you did not need a visa to come to Ireland, you must prove that you can support yourself financially after you arrive here. You do this by showing at the time of arrival in the state you have immediate access to €4,500.


Documentary evidence required;

  • An up-to-date bank statement, showing what money has been paid into and out of the account over the last six months. You must submit this whether you are covering the costs of your studies yourself or not
  • An up-to-date bank statement for each sponsor (if applicable), showing what money has been paid into and out of the account over the last six months
  • Education bond (if applicable)

Further requirements and information can be found on the immigration website here.


IRP Card Information

Your Irish Residency Permit (IRP) card is posted to you within 10/15 working days of your appointment. 

IRP cards are issued to students with a validity of 12-15 months depending on their course duration and expected graduation. 


  • Masters programme commencing in September, expected graduation November - Your IRP card should be issued with an expiry of November.
  • Undergraduate programme - Your IRP card should be issued September - September.  You will need to renew your visa each year. Please see our article on how to renew your student visa.
  • January intake for Computing Students, expected graduation Spring - Your IRP card should be issued with an expiry of Spring.
  • January start for Business Students, expected graduation November of following year - Your IRP card should be issued for a 12-15 month period and then you will need to pay to renew your student visa.

If your Irish Residency Permit was issued with an earlier expiry date you will need to contact immigration. For more information please see our article here. 


Your Irish Residence Permit:

  • It shows your photograph and your personal details, the type of permit you or stamp you have and outlines how long you can stay in Ireland
  • Is for your personal use only, and you must always carry it with you and show it to the authorities if asked
  • Once your permit is valid you may leave Ireland and re-enter the State without the need for other immigration-related travel requirements, such as a visa. However, you must bring your IRP card with you when travelling.
  • It does not allow you to travel freely or live elsewhere in European Union or the European Economic Area. 
  • It is not an identity card, but it is an important document providing you have legal permissions to remain in Ireland.

Important Notes

When you registered your permission with immigration they noted your current address. If your address changes you are legally required to let immigration know. You can do this by emailing

If you lose your IRP card or if it is stolen you should report it to An Garda Station immediately. Check to find your local station. Once you have an official report of the incident you can contact and they will verify your identity and documents before issuing a new card.

You are legally required to ensure your permission to remain in the State is valid and up to date otherwise you will be committing an offense. If you need to renew your student visa please see our article on how to renew your student visa.

If you have any queries for immigration, you must email  Please include a very clear subject line in the email e.g. Card Error or Flights booked for travel as this will allow immigration to prioritise urgent queries.

Was this article helpful?



Please sign in to leave a comment.