How do I appeal my student visa refusal?

Sheila Mahon
Sheila Mahon
  • Updated


Domestic Residence and Permissions Division (DRP) has introduced an application form for Extension of Student Conditions.

If you have been refused registration at your local immigration office and you believe you have exceptional circumstances in your case, you can apply to DRP for an extension of your student permission using the form on their website here. 


Who is the form for?

This form is for non EEA citizens who are currently in Ireland on a Student type permission and have been refused registration or renewal at their local immigration office.

You should use this application form if:

• You are in Ireland for the purposes of study and have, or have had in the past six months, Stamp 2, 2A, 1G, or 1A and

• You have attempted to renew your permission with your local Immigration office and have been refused and referred to Domestic Residence and Permissions Division of Immigration Service Delivery. OR

• You have reached the maximum time permitted on a student type permission so cannot be granted further permission with your local Immigration Office, but require an extension due to exceptional or unforeseen circumstances.


Applicants must email the form to and include Students in the Subject Line.  The email address was introduced by immigration on 19 December 2023 and it is no longer a requirement to send the form by registered post. 

Important Note - Applications will not be accepted from persons outside the State. You are required to provide evidence of current residence in the State.


For more information please visit the Irish Immigration website.

Was this article helpful?



Please sign in to leave a comment.